Sunday, June 24, 2012

Conway Hall London

After lunch at The Lamb Pub we continued on our London Walk.  Passing

The Society was formed in 1793 by a group of nonconformists known as Philadelphians or Universalists.

In 1926 they built new premises, Conway Hall, at 37 Red Lion Square, in nearby Bloomsbury, on the site of a tenement, previously a factory belonging to James Perry, a pen and ink maker. The name of the society still reflects the original location. Conway Hall is named after an American, the anti-slavery thinker, Moncure Conway, who led the Society from 1864–1885 and 1892–1897, during which time it moved further away from Unitarianism.

 In 1888 the name of the Society was changed from South Place Religious Society to South Place Ethical Society under Stanton Coit's leadership. In 1969 another name change was mooted, to The South Place Humanist Society, a discussion that sociologist Colin Campbell suggests symbolized the death of the ethical movement in England.

Red Lion Square itself has an interesting history and some names you may recognize, associated with it.


1 comment:

  1. What a great photo of Red Lion Square. It would make a good post-card!


01 09 10