Friday, May 11, 2012

The High Line

The High Line  Somewhere I want to visit when I get up to New York which isn't very often and I should because we're only two hours away, is the High Line.

  The High Line is a public park built on an historic freight rail line elevated above the streets on Manhattan’s West Side. It is owned by the City of New York, and maintained and operated by Friends of the High Line. Founded in 1999 by community residents, Friends of the High Line fought for the High Line’s preservation and transformation at a time when the historic structure was under the threat of demolition. It is now the non-profit conservancy working with the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation to make sure the High Line is maintained as an extraordinary public space for all visitors to enjoy.

The High Line is located on Manhattan's West Side. It runs from Gansevoort Street in the Meatpacking District to West 34th Street, between 10th & 11th Avenues. The first section of the High Line opened on June 9, 2009. It runs from Gansevoort Street to West 20th Street. The second section, which runs between West 20th and West 30th Streets, opened June 8, 2011.

This is just so creative.

On the home front of my garden.  Well of course I've been out of commission for almost a month what with going home to the England and then getting pneumonia, but truth be told it's been a cold wet spring.  Funny thing is although where my folks live in UK is around 3,500 miles away from here, we've just about had the same kind of crazy weathAer, cold, rain and showers interspersed with sun shine.

I went to the park to eat lunch yesterday, just to commune with nature and get out of the office.  Well the sun was in and then out and back in again.  A little chipmunk was trying to sun himself on a rock, but gave up I think.

So not much going on in the garden, no vege planted, I hope my friend Jack will come through for me with a few plants, for my vegetable garden.

A few pics of what is happening.











Christy

2 comments:

  1. Your garden looks very lush and beautiful...but then again you ARE English and it IS very wet this spring where you live ;) I'm looking forward to seeing photo's when you go to this place in New York...what a wonderful thing for the residents to do! I hope your day is a wonderful one and that you are feeling better. Maura

    ReplyDelete
  2. The High Line sounds great and I wish I could come and see it with you. Its strange that we are having the same weather. I had to put my tomatoes out in the raised bed but they look so miserable even though they have fleece wrapped round them. I have some spares in doors but they need to go out soon. Your garden still very pretty though.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10