Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge







The Fitzwilliam museum houses a number of different artifacts Roman and Egyptian, plus porcelain and paintings.  You can never take in everything in a museum, so I always like to come away with the essence, something that I have personally enjoyed.  There were a couple of things, I loved that you could stand right up close to a Monet, Renoir, Degas painting and look at all the brush work, I was amazed that you were allowed to.

In the Roman section I was fascinated by what would be today's equivalent of a Swiss Army knife.  It had a hinged spoon and knife along with various little hooks for shell fish extraction, quite fascinating and I think most of these artifacts were dug up in the UK.

After two museums I was quite tired so went to their tea room, which has lovely natural lighting from the ceiling and sat down to a nice pot of peony tea, I needed that.

Christy

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful way to spend the day! I agree with you...you just can't take it all in when you visit a museum. My sis took me to the London Museum in 99...I loved it but there was just SOOO much to take in! What a beautiful building the one in Cambridge is...all the details. Love it. Thanks again for sharing this with us. Maura :)

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10