Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge







The Fitzwilliam museum houses a number of different artifacts Roman and Egyptian, plus porcelain and paintings.  You can never take in everything in a museum, so I always like to come away with the essence, something that I have personally enjoyed.  There were a couple of things, I loved that you could stand right up close to a Monet, Renoir, Degas painting and look at all the brush work, I was amazed that you were allowed to.

In the Roman section I was fascinated by what would be today's equivalent of a Swiss Army knife.  It had a hinged spoon and knife along with various little hooks for shell fish extraction, quite fascinating and I think most of these artifacts were dug up in the UK.

After two museums I was quite tired so went to their tea room, which has lovely natural lighting from the ceiling and sat down to a nice pot of peony tea, I needed that.

Christy

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to spend the day! I agree with you...you just can't take it all in when you visit a museum. My sis took me to the London Museum in 99...I loved it but there was just SOOO much to take in! What a beautiful building the one in Cambridge is...all the details. Love it. Thanks again for sharing this with us. Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pondered to myself recently what were the most important things in my life. The answer seems to be clear that art was up there in importance. Why? Frankly, I don't really know. May be someone here can enlighten me?
    As was my wont w
    hen I have some free time, I browsed the marvelous site, wahooart.com, where they keep thousands of digital images for customers to select to have printed into handsome canvas prints for their homes.
    This image jumped out to jolt my reveries: Still life with bread, by the Cubist Georges Braque. Is art like this picture, as essential as bread and water, or should I say bread and wine?

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10