Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Penn Station, NYC Makes Me Cry

Hi Dear Folk,

Every time I go up to NYC by train our incoming station is Penn Station and I just want to cry for what was destroyed in 1963  See this article "What Penn Station Used To Look Like."

Even though there are thoughts (see here) to do something about Penn Station which has long dark narrow corridors, the roof leaks, no natural light and is totally not user friendly.  You do not stand on the platform to wait for your train, you have to stand in a holding area looking at the boards and when your train comes in then you all surge down to the narrow platforms.  Thus my new banner, what one part of Penn Station looks like now.  And this is what it used to look like.



In this holding area there is not a seat to be seen, unless you want to sit in Dunkin Donuts, Taco Bell or any other number of small and dinghy chain food restaurants. After a day in NYC all you want to do is sit down and you can't even do that.  It is totally beyond my comprehension that a train station that has a usage of 650,000 passengers per day, should be so ugly, and that 650,000 people per day put up with this is outrageous.

Obviously I was just up in NYC.  In my opinion Penn Station was even grander than Grand Central which did manage to survive.

Christy

1 comment:

  1. I agree! I have been watching some programs about NY and they talked about Penn Station and showed pictures of how it used to be. I must say our London stations are wonderful especially Kings Cross and St. Pancras since being restored. I hate the way you wait so far from the trains at Penn. Its so confusing to use as well. On the plus side Grand Central is amazing.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10