Saturday, November 10, 2018

30th August 2018 Coke Hat or Bowler Hat?

Hi Dear Folk,

Today was our first, what I would call real day of winter.  Bright blue clear skies with white fluffy clouds, but very windy and quite cold.  I was out this morning on my volunteer work and got invited by Barb and John to go out for lunch with them to Amedeo's, a well priced down to earth Italian based restaurant.  I had a mushroom burger and fries, but took half of each home and had that for dinner, it was good.

Yesterday I drove over to Trader Joe's, I like their bread and a few other bits and pieces's.  It's a run I'll probably make about once a month since it's a little off my beaten track.  I also popped into the wine store and got a bottle of South African Pinotage, which is from a grape developed in South Africa back in the mid twenties.  I thought I'd give it a go.  Along with a bottle of Irish Cream.  Need a few goodies for those winter nights.

I was glad that I bought my mandevilla in yesterday, even though it was pouring with rain.   It is now located in my sitting room in front of one set of French doors.  I do hope it will get enough light.  The eternal problem of where to winter over the plants.

You might think that's a London Bowler businessmen's hat, but actually it's the hat that was designed for the gamekeepers at Holkham Hall.  When I was a child every city gent wore one, but not so much or really hardly at all now.  I think you will enjoy the history of this hat.

The plaid is a special plaid designed for Holkham Hall.


There are many theories as to why Holkham’s gamekeepers first came to wear ‘Bowler’ or ‘Coke’ hats, as they were commonly known in Norfolk. The original story is that in August 1849, William Coke, a nephew of the first Earl of Leicester of the second creation, commissioned his hatter James Lock, to design a close-fitting, low crowned hat. William stressed that the hat must be extra strong; in order to protect his gamekeepers’ heads from low hanging branches, while out horse riding. It was clear that the tall top-hats often worn by the keepers were easily knocked off and damaged; and a completely new style was called for. It is believed that William also hoped the new hat would protect his keepers from attacks by poachers.

A prototype of the hat was duly made by Lock’s chief hatter, Thomas Bowler, and when William visited Locks to inspect the design, he was presented with a very hard hat with a round, low crown and small brim, covered in a rough finished felt. As the story goes, William then took the hat outside on to the pavement and promptly jumped up and down on it to determine its durability. Happily, the hat withstood the test and in accordance with Locks’ usual practice, was called the ‘Coke’ hat, after the customer for whom it was made. This is probably why the hat soon became known as the ‘Billy Coke’ or ‘Billycock’ hat in Norfolk.
In later years, the hat was more generally known as the Bowler, after the Bowler Brothers, who went on to manufacture it. Although very fashionable in shooting parties of the time, the hat was also adopted by city stockbrokers and barristers and soon became uniform headwear. Nowadays, judges and officials at equestrian shows commonly wear Bowler hats. However, recent research has cast some doubt over this story. It is now believed that it was Edward Coke, younger brother of the second Earl of Leicester, who actually ordered the hat.
Christine

1 comment:

  1. I like Trader Joe's but we don't have them here. The story of the hat is interesting.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10