Sunday, June 10, 2018

The Coal House 1927 Blaenavon, South Wales

Hi Dear Folk,

I have just finished watching The Coal House on You Tube.  It's a historic reenactment for one month of what it was like to be a miner and a miner's family living in Blaenavon, South Wales, in 1927.  There are ten episodes, produced by BBC Wales in 2007.  Blaenavon is a World Heritage Center.

It does make you think, very hard times, but a much closer sense of community.  I love the Welsh singing always have.  The children did not at all miss the Tele and their iPads.  No doubt though it was a hard life and the life expectancy of both men and women was much less.  The accident and death rate in the mines was very high and the women were just worn out by all the work.  I remember my father saying of his paternal grandmother that the doctor said she just died of hard work, she had twelve children, and was a Dorset, shepherd's wife.

If you haven't watched this already you might enjoy it.

c

Christine

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure it is a wonderful program. It's good to realize how much easier we have it, now days. And also, to see, what they had back then, that we no longer have, today. It's interesting to contemplate the 'trade-offs.'

    And it's just-plain-good, to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched this when it first was on tv. It is good to realize how hard life was and to appreciate what we have although the sense of community is often missing now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks good! Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those kinds of shows. I fell in love with Victorian Farm and a few others. Thanks for alerting me to this one.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10