Monday, June 4, 2018

First Day of My First Full Week of Retirement

Hi Dear Folk,

OMG can't believe I'm here, first day of my first full week of retirement.  The sun was out first thing and I walked around my garden looking at this and that and taking stock of what yet still needs to be done.  I did think "Oh!  I'd be on the train right now."  I see my fig trees did not make it through the winter, a great disappointment, even though they were wrapped.  Also my hibiscus in the pot died.  It made it through two winters in the pot, but not last winter.  I may just stick with annuals in the pots.  Although the hydrangea did make it through another winter in a pot.  One hosta totally disappeared out of a pot under the oak tree, but I think that has more to do with squirrels, the little stinkers.

Saturday was hot and humid and although we were expecting thunder storms, they never did really materialize, although it rained a bit overnight.  This is where Miss Tuppy spent her afternoon, personally I think it was a very good decision, to take a nap.




Sunday was thirty degrees colder, windy and cloudy.  Last night it rained all night.  I just looked at the long term forecast and it is not that promising, some sun in there, but a lot of rain.  I don't think I remember such a wet spring for ages.  I do like how green everything is, and could almost think I'm in the UK.

I have been crocheting my half star shawl.  Crocheting always seems more of a winter pastime to me, but it has been such a cool spring that it doesn't seem out of place.

What to do?  What to do?  The possibilities are endless, but I did want to get stuck into more things in the garden, so while there is no rain I think I will get out there.

Yesterday afternoon I did pop out with Mr. B.  We bought another Double Knock Out Rose in Cherry Red.  I really wanted a pink one as I already have a red and a yellow one, but the pink one was in a larger pot and double the price and I just couldn't spring for that so decided on another red and will just keep an eye out for a pink one in my price range.  Also bought another hosta, you know I love them.  Also a few impatiens just for a splash of colour in my pots.

You watch these garden shows where they go in and totally revamp their gardens and bring in boat loads of plants, but that is an absolute fortune in plants.  Here I am dolling out my meagre pittance on what I allow myself to spend on plants, putting things back because I tell myself that is too much money.  Feeling quite the church mouse.  Still I find joy in what I do have and I think considering my expenditure, my garden looks quite good.  It is always a joy to to be given plants from my friends gardens, there's something special in that.

Well it's later in the day, and it's been quite a nice day with the sun in and out and only in the seventies.  I started this post this morning.  I've just spent all day in the garden again.


Two stacks of those breeze blocks/cinder blocks, have now been moved to under the oak tree.  I still have two more stacks to move.  I wanted to do it today, but ran out of energy.  As Mr.B. said you can do it tomorrow.  I'm so used to doing it all in in one day, and of course he's right.


Red Knock Out Rose.


Jacob's Coat of Many Colours Rose.



Seven sisters rose.






I moved and re potted this poor fir tree.  It has lived for over thirty years in a pot, I just can't get rid of it.  Planted a few impatiens around the bottom to brighten up the pot.


Found all those four chairs around the table in the trash.  In fact I found two chairs and then two years later I found another two identical chairs in another persons trash.  I think they originally came two chairs with a bistro table, for a kitchen.  I will have to try and preserve the wood seats this year.  the metal frames a fine.


Moved the above barrel pot from near the garage to here and planted the George Smith Hosta that I bought yesterday.


Moved this pot to the garage and planted it with a maple tree found in the garden and some ferns from my front garden.  A lady fern and regular fern.


Made a bench of the breeze blocks. I will put blankets and cushions over them when I use them. I'm going to make another bench on the other side of the fire.  I plan to invite friends over for a bar b que and light a fire and do some smores with the kids.



For all the last few years I have always found some chairs in the trash to use on the Oak Tree Patio.  They last a couple of years and then get chucked out.  So I just chucked out the wicker chair and couch that had been out here and was totally destroyed over the winter.  I came up with the idea to use my old camping chairs out here.  We haven't been camping in a while and they are just sitting in the basement.  Here is my striped rocker.



Looking from the Oak Tree patio to the Pond patio.  You can see the two stacks of breeze blocks I will tackle tomorrow.

In between all this work I did read some of my book, Crossing To Safety, by Wallace Stegner, and a glass of Burgundy.

Just got to remember stop and smell the roses and there's enough of them and tomorrow is another day.

Christine

14 comments:

  1. Everything looks so beautiful and green. The best part is that now you have more time to enjoy it.
    Happy retirement :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is it more time. Time is a very precious commodity and I love having more of it.

      Delete
  2. Joseph's Coat of Many Colours Old Rose!!! My husband loves Old Roses and has one of these. And it is so lovely! Have never seen another, in Blog Land. :-)

    Isn't it nice, to not have to do everything, on the weekend? Oh yesss, it must be. So happy for you.

    Your garden is lovely, simply lovely. Who needs one of those all-done-by-someone-else gardens anyway???? Too, tooo, and too not personal, say I.

    Repeat, everything is gorgeous, around your back yard.

    Enjoy your time!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your heart felt comment.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your retirement! I'm sure you will enjoy yourself in your pretty garden. There is always something to be done there. Your roses are lovely. And the hosta are so nice. I love to divide them and then I have more plants for more places. Enjoy your first week of freedom from work outside the home. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so lovely to not be under that pressure anymore.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your retirement. Now that you are a lady of leisure, let me know if you ever want to meet up to knit/crochet. I think we do not live far from each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden looks beautiful and now you can really enjoy it and take time to just sit and smell the roses. I can't stand those garden programmes and just buying a load of plants is not real gardening. The weather is a bit up and down here too. Hot over the weekend and lots of rain last night and feels cold but dry now so I will get out in the garden soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it takes thought, and a garden is a journey.

      Delete
  6. Again, congratulations on your retirement. Looks/sounds like you are already enjoying.

    Crossing to Safety is one of my favorite books. All of Stegner's writing is so good.

    We have a 7 Sisters Rose that we brought up from my MIL's home in VA (originally on her parents farm out in the country). Ours is pink and we have it climbing a tree in our back yard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So wonderful! Do not worry about your fig trees...they look like that and then new shoots come out later. At least that's how mine do. But I know the heart sinking feeling because they do look dead. But there are things going on underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your comment on this post of mine.

    I did reply to comments, in my blog, which I don't usually do. And I wanted to let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden knocks me out. Believe me, if you saw what I work with, you'd know I'm not exaggerating!

    Congratulations on your retirement. I know you will love having the time to work that garden as you like and a million more things besides. I remember the first time I went out of town shopping on a weekday I felt guilty, like "what if someone from work sees me!" I don't feel that anymore -- just joyfully grateful!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10