Monday, December 12, 2016

Victorian Tea at the Cairnwood Estate

Hi Dear Folk,

These last two weeks have whizzed by and I forgot to mention that we bought tickets to a Victorian Tea, hosted by WHYY which is our local Public TV Station.  It was an hour previewing of the to be released show Victoria, a Master Piece Theater production about the life of Queen Victoria.  It was held at Cairnwood, the house previously owned by the Pitcairn family, along with Tea.

For some reason I envisioned a sit down tea at tables, but is was only a buffet tea, cheese and wine.  Still very nice and the setting is lovely.  In fact Rob said he filmed a wedding held here at the estate in Bryn Athyn, we do have some very Welsh town names in this area.

You could also take a tour of the house and look at some of the family clothes on display.


We were encouraged to dress in Victorian attire.  I accomplished what I called a curtsy to this, as I own nothing that could be called Victorian looking.  So took a long black velvet dress, with a choker necklace and earrings.  It's fun to dress up and it seems we do so much less of this now than in my parents era.  I bought two necklaces with the thought of taking one back, one was much more of a choker and my favourite, but when I got it home, it was missing one dangle, disappointing, so went for this set.  I think that either one was probably equally fitting for this outfit.  Although I found much larger and stunning earrings to go with the necklace I wore.  In fact the other choker I would have taken earrings out of my collection to wear with it as there were none in the shop that matched.  T. J. Maxx is great for jewelry at an affordable price.










Circa 1920's Ivory Silk Peau de Soie, Silk Chiffon Trim, Sterling Silver Belt Evening Gown with Silk Cut Velvet Robe and Ermine Fur Trim.  H. Odhner Edelmann Gowns and Hats, Paris - New York.

This evening ensemble includes an alternative robe of ivory and gold for different occasions.  The heavy silk peau de soie sewn in full length vertical pleats provides contrast to the airy and dramatic robe.  Tiny snaps affix the robe to the dress, ensuring correct placement.

The silver belt depiects romanti-style female heads surrounded by acanthus foliage.  Because it is sewn to the gown, the makers marks are not visible.


I saw these very similar sleeves on another blue velvet gown and thought they were lovely.  I hear velvet is back in again this winter.  I remember how popular it was in the seventies.  My sister used to work in Barretts Clothes Shop in Bishop's Stortford, that sold some very nice lines of clothes, in fact BB used to travel up to London and buy for the ladies department.  In any-case she bought me a lovely deep blue velvet suit, which I got engaged in. I wore that suit quite a bit. I think they went out of business some time in the eighties or nineties.





Outside Cairnwood at night.


My mum knitted me those gloves, so it was lovely to wear them and just right as I needed long gloves with this cape and outfit.


Christy

4 comments:

  1. You both look lovely and just right for a wonderful setting. Glad you had a good outing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post, and such a gorgeous outfit me dear x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What elegant clothing. Your outfit is magnificent. Perfectly dressed for the occasion. Love the cloak and gloves

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look lovely my friend. It sounded like a wonderful evening.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10