Thursday, September 19, 2013

Zucchini Chutney and Zucchini, Apple and Ginger Jam AKA Marrow


Zucchini and Apple Chutney

4 lbs zucchini, peeled and chopped into small pieces
2 lbs cooking apples peeled and chopped
3 onions finely chopped
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon chopped chilies ( I used fresh hot red peppers that I had, plus more to ones personal taste)
1 tablespoon chopped ginger root
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 tablespoon allspice, bruised ( I used powder)
1 1/2 quarts vinegar

Place zucchini in a bowl, sprinkling salt as you layer it.  Leave for 24 hours, drain and wash well
Put zucchini in a saucepan along with the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil and simmer until chutney thickens.
Spoon in into jars, seal, and store for at least 4 weeks before opening.



Marrow and Ginger Jam

3 lbs sugar
3 lbs marrow
1 lb cooking apples
2 oz root ginger
juice of 2 lemons keep pips tie in muslin bag (or 4 tablespoons of bottled lemon juice)

Peel the marrow, discard the seeds and cut into cubes
Peel and core the apples and cut the flesh into cubes
Place in a pan and steam until tender and then mash
Add the lemon juice
Bruise the ginger, wrap in a piece of muslin and place in the pan
add the sugar, simmer and stir until dissolved
Bring to boil and boil for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally as the pulp thickens and setting point is reached
Put into hot sterilized jars, immediately cover
Makes about 4 lbs


  • I used the bottled lemon juice that worked well would have used lemons if they had of been handy
  • Peeled and chopped the ginger and just added in with the fruit.  Next time I would use more ginger as I like it and I like tiny pieces in my jam
  • I mashed it with a potato masher but not completely, I like a few bits in my jam.
  • Boiled for an extra 10 minutes as the marrow has a lot of water and it seemed to need it
  • Set beautifully
  • A great Jam



The above photo is the Marrow/Zucchini, Apple and Ginger Jam, just could not get my camera to focus on this correctly for some reason.

I always wash my jars then put them in the oven at 250 F for ten minutes to sterilize.

Take them out hot and fill.  After filling them I pour over hot melted wax and this makes a nice seal for any jams or chutneys, then just cover with the matching lids.

Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10