Monday, September 23, 2013

Cheese And Chutney


In a previous post I gave the recipe for this Zucchini and Onion Chutney,  Above you can see the hot wax that I use to seal the tops.



Above are a salt and pepper set.  I always come back from a vacation having passed by all the expensive touristy things, only to find them in the thrift shop at a fraction of the price.  I think these are older in anycase and you probably would not even find them now.  I like the pearly finish.



Remember I won a drawing at work for a delivery of cheese every two months.  This is my first shipment.  Caerphilly, Grafton and Westminster Cheese.  I love cheese so this has been really fun and will continue to be so.


The Grafton cheese is from Vermont, from the Grafton Village Cheese Company.  Vermont cheddars are some of my favourite cheese over here in the USA.

The English Cheddar is from Barbar's West Country Farmhouse Cheddar and they have been making cheese for six generations starting in 1833.  This cheese won a Gold Meal in the 2011 World Cheese Awards for Best Mature Cheddar, the only entry from the UK to make it to the finals.

The Caerphilly originally a cheese made in Wales, dates back to the 1830 was made on small farms. Welsh miners would wrap the cheese in cabbage leaves to take as a handy self-contained lunch "down the pit" Today it is mainly produced in Somerset and this Caerphilly is from Abbey Farm.


From top to bottom.  Grafton Cheddar Vermont, center is the Westminster, West Country Cheddar, Somerset and at the bottom is the distinctive Caerphilly also from Somerset.

And as my grandfather would say, "where the cider apples grow"  he was from Somerset.


I have two homemade chutneys here the dark is an Apple and Raisin chutney made last year, the lighter chutney is the Zucchini chutney made this year, the red is a pepper kind of tapas from Trader Joe's,along with tomatoes from my garden.  Assorted crackers from Aldi's.


Just love this kind of a lunch.

With a nice glass of vino.

Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10