Monday, October 22, 2018

24th August Finchingfield The Dirty Duck

Hi Dear Folk,

Today is a beautiful Indian Summer day. I do love it, it gives you that extra time before winter to get jobs done. I was so cold getting into bed last night with cotton sheets, I said "it's time."  Mr. B. and I made our bed and put on the winter sheets.  I had also bought a new mattress cover, with a lovely cotton top pad.  We have a deep mattress with a topper on so was happy to see that what I had bought fitted perfectly, long overdue.

It's been busy around here, bringing in all the garden furniture and finding a space to put it, which is the real problem.  Then all the china pots have to come inside, I put all these on the steps to the basement, which gets closed up for the winter.

While I was away the basement got flooded and the boys had to sort this out and clean this up.  It seemed a drain pipe had gullied out a deep hole hidden under the pavers on the Simla patio and water was collecting in there and has eventually found a hole in the basement wall.  Mr B and Rob filled and concreted this up, redirected the down pipe and it seems to have solved the problem.

Although they had cleaned the basement up, it still needed more.  I had to wash all the rugs and scrubbed one side of the basement floor 1'm much happier with it now.  An old basement is continual work.  If I spent as much time on other parts of the house 1'm sure they'd sparkle more.

Mr. B. bought a new gas grill.  Almost seems the wrong time of year to buy one, but we use our grill summer and winter, it sits right outside the back door, it would be nice if it had a little cover over it, but doesn't.  He had to put that all together.

I re watched The Barchester Chronicles last night, by Anthony Trollope.  A most satisfactory ending.  The seven episodes are on YouTube, 1982 production by the BBC.

Back to the UK.  I was able to spend a few days with an old family friend Jean D.  We had such a lovely time together, lots of long chats, and reminiscing about my mum and dad, and thoughts on life.


Here we are in Finchingfield a popular picturesque village.  The sad thing I noticed about a lot of villages of my youth, that would have had little general store, a bakers and a stationery/sweet shop, were now all gone to be replaced by teashops and restaurants.  Lots of places to eat at, but no little shops to wander around and enjoy.  No cakes to buy, no little bags of sweets and a pretty postcard to take home.




We had lunch at the Dirty Duck.  Probably named after the area of the village Duck End,



The view from our table.


I had the pate, it was good.  Several pots of tea and chocolate Victoria Sandwich for desert.


A Post Mill, you can literally turn it around for the sails to face the wind.


Jean.  The leaves fell early because of the draught.





This little blue cottage is slightly tucked behind another cottage, I'd take that.





The restaurant we ate at just behind the bridge.

Christine

5 comments:

  1. Nice to see some photos of you too!
    Beautiful england

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. Everything looks so perfect:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look idyllic and is lovely, but life is life where ever you live.

      Delete

01 09 10