Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Thyroid Cancer





I meant to write this post last week, but time flies by.  Why a post on thyroid cancer.  Well several things came together.  I was with an old friend who was diagnosed with thyroid cancer a year ago.  Just recently she mentioned one of the questions they asked and that was "Where was she when Three Mile Island had their reactor leak."  This question coupled along with the terrible nuclear reactor explosions in Fukushima, Japan, and the fact that I have a thyroid problem, made me do a little research on the matter.

The tri-state area of New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania has the densest number of nuclear reactors in the States and this is reflected in the higher number of thyroid cancers in Pennsylvania than the rest of the USA.


My friend was about thirty miles away when Three Mile Island went up and was in the wind path.  I missed both explosions, as when Three Mile Island went up, I was in the UK and when Chernobyl went up I was in the USA.  But nuclear power plants, or as ex president Bush would say nucular plants are always letting of radiation in what they call controlled venting.

Read the complete information on the above PDFs "Geographic Variation on US Thyroid Cancer HERE"


Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10