Friday, September 30, 2016

Pop BackTo The Weekend

Hi Dear Folk,

I'm going to post some sun from last weekend as at the moment we are into most autumnal weather and not the Indian Fall autumnal weather, but the rain and squalls autumnal weather.


This is such a busy picture, I'll never be a minimalist  I just keep finding things that I think need saving and can be used and they can.  My bougainvillea at last bloomed, it took all summer to do so, I'll have to find a corner to bring it in for the winter.  My memories of Cadiz are of long shadowed narrow streets that burst out at the end into a sun drenched square of orange trees and bougainvillea.


I wanted to read about knitting in America.  The traditions here in knitting as in so much of what makes up America came over with its immigrants.  Design however can be said to be truly the images of the Inuit people, or the Indian tribes, they stamped knitting with their unique designs.

Fashion designers have even stolen some designs such as here. where a Nunavut, Inuit family design was stolen by a European high end fashion house.



This bag design calls out to me and was the reason for this thrifted book purchase.


In previous posts I have referred to the book Miss Grief, and Other Stories by C. F. Woolson which has recently been reprinted in paperback.  "Solomon" was originally published as a story in the Atlantic Monthly on October 1873.  When I saw the Zoar Mittens above I thought I know about that community.

"Soloman"  takes place in the German separatist community Zoar, founded in 1817 on the banks of the Tuscarawas river in eastern Ohio, a region rich in coal.  Zoar was named for the Biblical town that God spared when he sent fire and brimstone to destroy Sodom and Gomorah.  The separatist community's first residents fled Wurttemberg, Germany, due to oppression for their refusal to acknowledge religious authorities.  The village that grew up in Zoar resembled a traditional German town and became a popular tourist attraction in the late nineteenth century.  Woodson often visited the Zoar community, during her young adulthood.

When I saw the Zoar mitten pattern it meant so much to see the work of those German settlers.  the mittens are made up of nine different colors of yarn, a good way to use up odd bits of wool. Circa 1880.  I love it when what one reads collides with what is read elsewhere.


The shawl that came with my thrifted shalwar kameez, the colors of India with the Paisley design, two favorites.  I thought why not wear it with this dress; which a seamstress friend made for me, and I had the earings.


This bun is so simple, bring your hair up into a pony tail, loop it up, catch the ends with a more circular shaped hair claw and pull the loop of hair down and around the hair claw, voila!  That's it.  I wear it to work when I'm in a rush.

Speaking about work, it's reminding me, more and more of that poem "Ten Little Soldier Boys"  Or "Ten Little Indians", yesterday someones else got let go, so in five years we have gone from fourteen people to four.  If it wasn't for the fact that we have already signed a lease for new offices in Philadelphia I would think that we are being "Rolled Up."  My movie watching is getting the better of me.

Just the night before I had watched on Acorn TV "And then There Were None" by Agatha Christie and a while ago "Restless" about spies in WWII, and in the film they used the terminology "Rolled Up" which means a spy cell is being liquidated.  I rather took to the expression.

Well must go I'm on one of my nocturnal stints and need to get some sleep before going to work.

Christy


No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10