Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Fig and Honey Scones

I have been thinking about fig trees and how much I would like to plant one in the garden.  My poor old ash tree is dying a little bit more each year, but as it is a very large tree and it is expensive to cut down we have been procrastinating on it.

There is some disease that gradually came up the Eastern Sea board of the USA and it has just destroyed my tree in the last eight years.

So when I saw this recipe, fig related, I thought, they would be good to try.


Fig and Honey Scones




Fig Honey Scone

2 1/2 cups sifted bread flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dried figs
1/2 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts
2 1/2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream, divided

• Preheat oven to 400˚.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Add figs and walnuts, tossing gently to combine.
• In a small bowl, combine honey and 2 tablespoons cream, stirring to combine. Add honey mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. (If mixture seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until a dough forms.)
• On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to a 1/2-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch square cutter, cut 12 scones. Place on prepared baking sheet.
• Brush tops with remaining 2 tablespoons cream.
• Bake until light golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. 

Enjoy!
Christy

2 comments:

  1. I love figs but they are so expensive here. Your recipe looks delicious. I had a fig tree in a pot and was told not to worry about frost with it so I didn't protect it and it died. Hope you fare better if you get one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very interesting combination for scones...I have a fig tree that is putting on fruit. I wonder if I can substitue fresh figs...I think I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10