Friday, May 10, 2013

African Rag Bead Necklace



This is my latest creation, an African rag bead in the center with black and white water buffalo horn beads from Asia.  I bought the African rag bead a few months ago, just because I liked it, but had no idea what I was going to do with it, then I remembered that I had these beads from eons ago.

The little black ones, some of which have silver inlay.  These are of course dyed to the black and white, but you can get them in natural horn colour and the variety of beads is endless.


I find stringing beads very soothing, thinking up the design and seeing what works, until I get to the bit where I have to fasten the ends, and especially when you have to tie in five strands, then it becomes very fiddly.  Bringing all those together and connecting it in with the clasp.

Now don't get upset these water buffalo are an everyday working animal in this part of the world and are of more value to the farmers alive.  But when they die they recycle every part of the animal.


Please see here a quote from one of the farmers:

"To my family the buffalo is more important than I am.  When I die they will weep for me; but if my buffalo dies they may starve."

Christy

1 comment:

  1. I like this. It must be satisfying to create your own unique pieces.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10