Monday, January 24, 2011

Moonflowers



Here are some Moonflower seed pods that my friend gave me.  She knows I love Moonflowers, their fragrance is heady and pungent, conjuring up far away romantic places.  I hope I do well growing them.

I thought of two places I would like to plant them.  One outside my Simla room windows, because I'm often sitting in there of a summer's evening, and the second place would be by my circular pond patio. I hope there is enough sun in both places.

Annual, Perennial, Ipomea
Moonflowers are nocturnal bloomers, perfect for night owls and late night strollers. After sunset, these huge white flowers bloom and glow all night in the moonlight. Then, as the sun rises, they close their fragrant blooms. 

Moonflowers are a vining plant, and can grow as much as 12-18 feet in a single year. They are perennial in their native tropical homes, and used as annuals in more northerly areas. 

Moonflower plants are prolific climbers with attractive leaves. Make sure to plant them where they can climb quickly towards the moon. Plant them along patios and sidewalks where people are likely to be in early evening hours. 

Christy

2 comments:

  1. My mother-in-law has moonflowers and they are so pretty. We've never planted them at our house but you're inspiring me to try something different and maybe get seeds from her. She saves seeds every year "just in case"! I have the perfect spot for them after reading your post. I think I'll plant them on the north side of our house by my sidewalk. I love walking around the house in the late evenings during the Summer and Fall. I feel like 'strolling' that time of day.
    Hope yours do well, keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The moonflowers sound very romantic. I think the seed pods look lovely too.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10