Sunday, October 22, 2017

Hygge Weekend

Hi Dear Folk,

The weather this weekend has been gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous and I'm so glad for the kids.  I wanted to make it a happy hygge weekend.

We had cause to have a little celebration, as Tierney just got a job in her field, not too far from where she lives on Cape Ann, which is amazing.  But the Internet, social media, APPS and other technology makes it possible to work from places one never could.  It's in her field film.

So to celebrate, a little gift and out to lunch.

We, Rob, Tierney and I went out to an Indian Restaurant which had a high rating and I can say the  food was very good.  We started with an appetizer of Palak Paneer, fresh homemade cottage cheese cubes, cooked with spinach with a mixture of masala.  Tierney had Andra Goat Curry, Rob had Shami Kebab chunks of boneless goat ground to a paste and pan grilled, rather like a meat ball.  I had Mutton Chuka Curry from the Chettinad region of Tamil Nadu, 24 spices ground with garlic, it was delicious.  Naan garlic bread.  We all had Mango Lassi drinks, a kind of mango milkshake, and I had to go Gulab Jamin, which to me tastes like balls of suet pudding in golden syrup.  We had lots of left overs to take home always fun.

In the afternoon I ran around looking for mats for my hall way, they must be washable as it gets so much traffic in and out of the house.  I saw a lovely mat with a fox design on but unfortunately not washable so it was off the table.


And even found a new mat for the back door, three of my favorite birds, the cardinal, robin and eastern bluebird.


We fixed the shower tap problem before Tierney came, by breaking down and calling in a plumber.  Actually he just gave us an estimate to put in new taps, but showed Mr. B. what needed to be done to get the hot shower tap working for now.  Success huge torrents of hot water.

We have an almost one hundred year bathroom, still with original tile work, black and white, which I can live with, original bath, which I like because it is open on two sides, I don't think you can even get them like that anymore, original medicine cabinet and not original taps, but original setup for the taps.  Which is two individual taps, hot and cold for the shower and lower down two individual taps for the bath hot and cold.  To replace these you have to buy two complete sets, just to get the second set of taps.  Rob was having a fit, because hot water was down to a trickle and Tierney was coming this weekend.  Peace was restored.

Mr. B. also worked on putting new locks on both the front and back doors, we were at the point where we could hardly turn the key in the lock.  Another job ticked off.  Also reattached a hook that had come off our old coat rack.  To do this the hole had to be filled with wood cement, sanded, colored, let dry, then put the hook on and screws in.



I very rarely buy the same wine twice, because if I did like it I can never remember the name, so thought if I took photos of what I like it might help to remember.  This was a nice wine.  One does have to wonder how much the California wine industry has been effected by all the fires.


Mr. B. came home with the best ginger beer I have tasted from Aldi's.



Working on my Cape Ann shawlette and finishing off my journal.





Still eking out my flowers, lighting my candles, dreaming of India, crocheting my what I'm calling Cape Ann shawlette, drinking wine and eating delicious left overs.

Happy Hygge Weekend.

Christine


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful weekend to me, crochet and candles idyllic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done to Tierney! Your meal sounded wonderful. I love lassi but not keen on gulab as too sweet. Your bird mat and candle holder are beautiful and good to get jobs done. Sounds like a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful life, especially now you have hot water!

    Loved the sound of the Indian meal, and the sweet suet balls.
    Haven't had ginger beers in years. Must look and see next time we're in a big supermarket if they have any.
    Love the shawl. Was thinking about crocheting one this winter
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a full weekend! But all good. I'm happy it's candle season again.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10