Thursday, August 24, 2017

Hecklerfest

Hi Dear Folk,

I don't know where summer has gone and have not even dipped my toes in the sea this year.  Several weeks ago I had a terrible cold, which totally seems wrong to be that ill in the summer.  If I'm going to be ill it should be in winter when I can eat chicken soup and be in bed with my quilt pulled up or sit by the log fire.  I'm better now though.

Last Saturday I went over to the Hecklerfest held at the Heckler House.  Just a small local festival.  The house is not that old about 1860, it looks older actually, but I guess that was a simple country style in Pennsylvania that lasted for a while.


I liked this picture of the two older gentlemen just sitting there under the tree with their hats on watching the world before them.  It was a lovely summer day, just right, blue skies and sun filtering through the trees.


Kitchen garden.




This was a pot of chicken noodle soup, although probably more suited to an autumn day.  Did get my chicken soup though, if not rather late.


Hand churned butter to sample.


Rag rug making.


Some views inside the Heckler House.






"Sleep tight" is an expression that we say, but it originates from this type of rope strung bed, a mattress would be placed on top.  To have a comfortable night's sleep you would have to keep the ropes strung tightly so as not to sag, hence forth the saying "sleep tight."




Cigar making.



Old style base ball attire.


Dough trough from Wisconsin, circa 1790 I think.  That would hold a lot of dough.


Old gourds to house the martins that keep away the mosquitoes.



Inside the barn.





Rides for the children.


They had a little book sale in one of the rooms and I picked up a very nice book about Frank Lloyd Wright and the houses he designed, just one dollar, I'm looking forward to reading that.  I read a biography about him, he was quite a character.

A nice morning was spent here, topped off with a Peach Milk Shake from Chic filet, which they only sell in the summertime, and I've become just a little addicted to them on a hot summer day, why not!

Christy

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful day out. Your pictures are great and remind me of the country applefest. You have such interesting events over there. We don't have many country shows around here now and most that are left resemble trade fairs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a wonderful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10