Sunday, September 7, 2014

Cayuga Lake Area Houses

Hi Dear Folk,

Today is sunny clear skies and much cooler since the thunderstorm last night, which shook the house.  I'm worn out from allergies which I've had since the middle of August, when the ragweed kicks in, and it will last a few more weeks more, into October.

Yesterday was a slow day, I needed that.

"Every person needs to take one day away.  A day in which one consciously separates the past from the future.  Jobs, family, employers, and friends can exist one day without any one of us, and if our egos permit us to confess, they could exist eternally in our absence.  Each person deserves a day away in which no problems are confronted, no solutions searched for.  Each of us needs to withdraw from the cares which will not withdraw from us.”

 (Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now) Maya Angelou

I wanted to share with you a little of the architecture of the Cayuga Lake area, I especially like this old style, not a style I have seen in my area, I think it is Greek Revival Style.  A Seneca area historian wrote this paper about the different styles of architecture in the Finger Lake area.  A historical paper on the architecture of the Finger Lake Area

  • Federal style (1780-1840)
  • Greek Revival style (1825-1860)
  • Gothic Revival style (1840-1880)
  • Italianate style (1840-1885)
  • Second Empire style (1855-1885) 
  • Queen Anne style (1880-1910)
  • Richardsonian Romanesque (1880-1900)




I like this house, style at the right size.




Here are some other photos I took as we whizzed by.  The Boy said I drove my Miata around these roads and it was great fun, I had to remind him that he was now driving dad's SUV and this maybe why the Miata is no more.




Have a great weekend.

Christy

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful houses. The historical paper is interesting. I love walking about looking at different buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The houses are gorgeous.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10