Friday, November 2, 2012

Quintessentially Brit House




Go to almost any town in Britain and you will run across houses built in this style, probably from the 1960's.  Over the years people have added their own style to them.

This is my friends house in the UK, and her lovely garden.


I love the patio with the grape vines, very Spanish, in fact they did own a home in Spain for a while. 

 When I was a child I don't think the word patio was in my vocabulary, we always said verandah,

ve·ran·da or ve·ran·dah
A porch or balcony, usually roofed and often partly enclosed, extending along the outside of a building. Also called regionally gallery.

[Hindi vara, probably from Portuguese varanda (perhaps ultimately from Vulgar Latin *barra, barrier, bar).]



Quintessentially Brit.

Christy

1 comment:

  1. It's a pretty garden and I like the willow tree. I'd never heard of a patio either. There was a very interesting Radio 4 programme about Hindi words which have influenced English and there is also a book on the subject but can't remember it's title.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10