Saturday, November 3, 2012

Clare Suffolk, River Stour



My favourite book as a child was Wind In The Willows.  It was introduced to me by my teacher Miss Player, when I was eight years old.  I don't know why I hadn't ran across it before, but she would read from it to us at the end of every day for fifteen minutes. How I looked forward to that.



This riverbank along the Stour River in Clare, evokes Ratty and Mole and all those imaginings from childhood.


This was my mum's favourite walk along the River.  We would often bring a small picnic, or just coffee and a cake and sit here and enjoy the peacefulness.






One side of the walk is the River Stour and on the other side is a small mere.  Here is a boy fishing in the mere.  In the middle is an island which the ducks and wildlife love.


Our picnic table.


The railway line ran right through here, but was closed up in the mid 1960's as so many lines were.  Several buildings are left and are part of the park, along with ruins of Clare Castle.

Christy

1 comment:

  1. It's no wonder your mum loved this walk as it is so peaceful and yes, memories of Ratty and Moley. Your photos show it up so well.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10