Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Carrot, Cumin and Kidney Bean Burger


I have wanted to try making these kidney bean burgers for a while, and the other Saturday I actually got to do so.  It is a recipe from the Blog "A Girl Called Jack"   I have mentioned about her before.

The recipe makes four burgers, I froze three and have just one left now.  You just take them out of the freezer and cook them in some olive oil, they cook well.


Here is the recipe:

Carrot, Cumin and Kidney Bean Burger

1 Carrot grated
1 Onion finely chopped
Handful of coriander, freshly chopped (I did not have any of this)
Teaspoon of cumin
I Can of kidney beans (approx 1 lb can/tin)
Splash of oil
Teaspoon flour

1.  Drain and rinse the kidney beans in cold water to wash away the tinned taste.  Put in a saucepan and cover with cold water.  Bring to the boil, then simmer for ten minutes to soften.

2.  In a saucepan, add the finely chopped onion, grated carrot, cumin and coriander.  Drizzle a little oil over and cook gently on a low heat to soften.

3.  When the kidney beans have heated through and softened, drain and add to the carrots and onions.  Mash together with a masher or a fork until you have a smooth-ish puree, (like a mashed potato consistency).  Stir in a heaped teaspoon of flour.

4.  Heat a little oil in a frying pan on a medium heat.  With floured hands, shape some of the mixture into a ball, about the size of a golf ball.  (I divided the mixture into four) Place in the oil and flatten gently, with a fork to make the burger shape.  Cook for a few minutes on one side , before turning over gently.  Handle with care while cooking.

5.  When cooked on both sides serve hot.

I served mine on a bun with lettuce a little mayo and chutney.

Healthy and a frugal easy alternative.  I really like this recipe.  A lot cheaper than buying vege burgers already made.

Christy

4 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I was just wondering what to make for dinner tonight and these look like the perfect thing. I have a question though - what size of canned beans do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristie,

      That would be approx 1 lb tin of kidney beans.

      Delete
    2. I made these tonight and they were great!

      Delete
  2. Looks yummy...I definetly will try!!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10