Friday, April 18, 2014

New York City

As I left the house at 6:30 AM the temperature was 30 f.  I got on the PA Turnpike and then onto Route 1 to Trenton to catch the train, unfortunately a sign shot up which said Trenton and I rashly took it, as soon as I was on that road I knew it was the wrong one, but once you are committed to those super highways, it's hard to get off.  Eventually I did, got back on again, and back to the correct road to Trenton.

I just missed the train, but they come pretty regularly to Penn Station, I got onto the very slow local train when I found out that the next one made only three stops and arrived twenty minutes earlier, so I got off and waited for that one.

I got off the train at Penn Station, which is a labyrinth of passages coming out on different sides of the block, I made my way to the 8th Street exit right where the Post Office is and walked up to the office, there with twenty minutes to spare, straighten up and be ready for my meeting.

Penn Station was demolished in 1962 one of the biggest tragedies to the architecture of New York City in living history, to be replaced by what?  See here what it used to look like.  A saving grace is the Grand Central Station still exists.



One of the views from our NYC offices.

After my meetings I left at about 2:00PM and decided to do some sight seeing while I was in the city.  I walked up 8th Avenue to Central Park, the day was bright and sunny, but cold, a good day for walking though.


Some people watching.  A lady walking her dogs in Central Park.


The military style coat that this lady was wearing I found very interesting.  Epaulets on the shoulders, double breasted buttoning at the front, with a half belt and pleats at the back.  The most interesting feature was the leather sleeves.


Now here is a different look, fur coat with advert leggings.

Have more to share with you about my trip.

Christy

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got to the office ok in the end. The old Penn station is magnificent and what a contrast to the present one. I love the photo of the lady in the red coat in the park. It reminds me of the opening scene of a film but I can't remember the name. I had a military style corduroy coat when I was 18 and recently a young friend was wearing an almost identical one so all fashions come back again.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10