Tuesday, December 4, 2018

8th September 2018 Aunt Joan

Hi Dear Folk,

I stayed a few days with my aunt Joan in Colchester, which was a treat.  She remembers so much family history.  We were talking about the aurora borealis and she said that as a child she remembers seeing it, sitting out in the garden with her back against the stone wall, looking at the sky.

I did look this up and it seems that on January 25th 1938 there was just such a weather phenomena, it came to be known as The Fatima Storm.  I don't think my aunt Joan could have been more than about five years old then.


I caught the local bus down into town.  Colchester predates Roman times.  You can still see the ruins there of an old Norman Castle, now a museum, which was built on top of a Roman temple built to Claudius.  This was burnt down by Boadicea when she ransacked the entire area.  They used much of the foundations and stones that were still in the area one thousand years later.

Even my cousin as a teenager dug up a cloak pin that had a blue stone on the end of it and was given to the museum.  More recently while rebuilding in town, they found treasure that was probably buried by a rich Roman couple who lived there, but never got the chance to go back for it, during the Boudican revolt in AD 61 It's called The Fenwick Treasure.

Christine 

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely time. And interesting place. I bet they find all sorts of intriguing stuff there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much found and it seems they always find more. Thousands of years of history I guess.

      Delete
  2. I love Colchester. There is so much to see there. Lovely to hear from older family members while we still have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I think, must spend time with family while they are still with us.

      Delete
  3. Hello! I love Colchester, my daughter and I were there in 91 with my sister who lives in England. It was a lovely village and I would love to visit there again one day.😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving a comment. Hope all is well with you. Yes Colchester is a lovely town to visit and such history.

      Delete

01 09 10