Friday, December 28, 2018

20th September 2018 Hogsfjorden and Lysefjorden

Hi Dear Folk,

I will have to put my running shoes on as my days are running out to the new year of 2019.

We were so joyful to be off on a trip down the Hogsfjorden to the Lysefjorden, on the two maps below you can see where we went. Lysefjord or Lysefjorden is a fjord located in the Ryfyike area in southwestern Norway.  The name means light fjord, and is said to be derived from the lightly colored granite rocks along its sides.  The area only has two villages along the fjord because of the mountainous terrain.



Norway and Sweden are known for their summer retreat cabins and you could see these dotted throughout on our journey.  I'm sure some are only accessible by boat.


Most obviously this one is.


I thought the weather in the UK was most changeable, but I think that is even more so in Norway.  The sun was out, it blew, it rained and the cycle would continue, this could all happen in fifteen minutes and be repeated at least four times in one hour, or more.













A rainbow above and you can just see it behind me on the picture below.



Jean got her raincoat at the Hudson Bay Company when we were in Harlam.  I really like the style with the peaked hood.


I found my raincoat in a charity shop in Halstead before I left England, I knew what I had brought over would not be enough.  It turned out to be a well used buy.  I think originally from M&S Marks and Spencer's or as we used to call it Marks and Sparks.



Under the bridge and you are in the Lysefjorden.


This is where you could get off the boat to hike up to pulpit rock if you wanted to.


Another rainbow, actually that weather pattern of rain and sun makes for lots of sitings of rainbows.





This gorge area was linked with bandits who got away from the tax man by scrambling up these rocks, at least I think that is how the story went.




Corny but cute, the goats are waiting for us, they know that they get fed carrots each time the boat comes by.  One goat looked like some cloning experiment, or a Frankenstein project, as if he two goats had been cut in two and joined together, a brown one and a white one, I don't know where the other one was.



We had heard of Preikestolen aka Pulpit Rock so was fun to cruise below it and look up.  It seems that Tom Cruz in Mission Impossible 6 did a stunt off this rock, thought you'd like to know.








French writer Victor Hugo wrote the novel Toilers of the Sea, visited this fjord in 1866 and admired the scenery, which he writes of in this work.  One can see why.


The boat was so clean, I have never seen cleaner toilets on a boat.


It rained just about all the way back.  We were happy to sit inside in the warmth and catch up on our Internet connections.



Getting off the boat, making our way past the tourist information office back to our ship.



Farewell Stavanger we enjoyed our visit and would love to come back again.


There were some older folk on our cruise, older than us.  I don't think of myself as old but I guess I'm getting there.  I saw one lady who had to be pushed up these steps by a sailor.  Being an older ship and smaller it does not have two passenger entrances one lower and one higher, so according to the tide and the dock sometimes it was a quite steep ascent.  In fact one port even steeper than this.


We felt this excursion was well worth it and curbed our disappointment.

Christine

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos! I always have mixed feelings when I look through my photos from England and trips. I always feel a little sad as well as happy to look back on the memories. It looks as though you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we did have a lovely time. It is sad and happy. Sometimes I would like to be two people and live two lives on two continents.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos and beautiful memories. It makes you want to go back again but we can keep looking at the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes would like another visit to Norway. As you said we do have our memories and photos.

      Delete
  3. Wow.. what an amazing cruise you enjoyed! As a water person and boat lover this would be right up my alley! Thanks for sharing it.

    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*
      *H*A*P*P*Y* *N*E*W* *Y*E*A*R*!*
    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*

    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10