Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Ethel and Ernest

Hi Dear Folk,

I just thought we needed some nostalgia, to counteract the doldrums of February.

Raymond Briggs honors his parents, Ethel and Ernest see here.


See here for the Telegraph Review and trailer.

With all my train travel to and from work, and not wanting to tote a book around, which I have been doing, I have downloaded an app called OverDrive that enables me to download books from my Library for free. I'm reading The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh.

I would like to say it was a very thought out download, but being technically challenged and after having downloaded one book, which says was a successful download, but having zapped off into oblivion, in other words I can't find it on my Fire, I therefore tried to download the next book with different options and this actually showed up on my bookshelf.  I know all of you are way ahead of me on this, but a new world has opened.

Just to set everything up and then get to find the overdue book, that Mr. B. had promised he would return that very day, which was not posted to my library account and therefore was stopping me from downloading anything, I phoned the library and they said they would look for the book and in walks Mr. B. and plonks it down, all unbeknownst to me, and the lady says "here it is."  So Mr. B. had walked in at the very time they promised to hunt down the returned book.  Mr. B. and I are not in constant communication as some folk are.  So after said book was logged in I was able to download.

A book I have added to my reading list is It Can't Happen Here, by Sinclar Lewis, first published in 1935.  If it is as good a read as The Jungle it will be thought provoking.

Christy




2 comments:

  1. Ethel and Ernest was televised over Christmas but I didn't watch it in the end as Esti said it was quite depressing. Shame as it did look good so I might watch it if it comes up again. I downloaded the kindle app on to my tablet so I can borrow ebooks from the library but I haven't yet although there are many free books on Amazon and some for as little as £1. It is good when you are desperate for a book but don't have anything handy. Glad you got yours sorted out in the end. That was funny Bob went to the library at that exact moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love this painting! Remember the book I had for Joe called Peek a boo by Janet and Allen Ahlberg? It reminds me of the illustrations in it and I have always loved them.

    So sweet how it all worked out with bob. .

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10