Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Crochet Skirt


After several abortive starts here is my finished skirt.  I really do like it.  Very plain, very simple with a little frill around the bottom.  My first attempt which was almost two thirds finished before I decided that I didn't like the vertical line that instead of being straight, kind of swirled to one side.

This is all done in double crochet.  With a chain at the top to make the holes to thread the tie through.  I was so happy with my cord tie, which is a crocheted chain to the length desired then go back through the length with a single crochet in the back of the stitch.  The frill around the bottom is a looped chain and then go back around on the chain in a double crochet.

I would model it with the shawl, but 95 f temperature and high humidity does not lend itself to this outfit, so I will pack it away for now and bring it out in the autumn.


I have seen some lovely fleck type yarn that I am thinking would make another nice skirt all sorts of delicious colours.


My Pattern


Crochet a chain to fit around the largest part of your hips, using worsted yarn and a 6.5 mm crochet hook (UK10.5) slip stitch to join without twisting the chain.

Row One:  Chain two, skip the first stitch. double crochet, chain one, skip the next stitch, double crochet, repeat this all around the chain.  At the end of the row make sure that your work is not twisted, slip stitch to join.

Row Two:  Chain three, double crochet in the next double crochet, chain one, double crochet in the next double crochet chain one.  Repeat this all the way around to make up the grid around the waist (through which you can thread the waist cord to pull the skirt in.) at end of row slip stitch to join.

Row Three:  Chain two, in the next double crochet, do two double crochets, continue around, slip stitch.

Row Four:  Chain two, in the center of the two double crochets, double crochet twice,  continue like this all the way around.

To finish skirt repeat Row Four until you have reached your desired length.

Bottom Frill:  Chain five, skip three stitches and slip stitch to loop, repeat this all the way around.  Next row double crochet eight times on each loop. slip stitch to secure, this will give you the frilled look, continue all the way around.

,

The store must not be stocking this yarn anymore as it was all on clearance for .99 cents per ball, which lends itself to uncontrolled buying.  I did buy some for my sister too.


We had such a lovely June cooler, which lent itself to crochet and such activities, but now we've jumped to these highs it my slow my pace on the crochet front.

Christy

1 comment:

  1. Your skirt is lovely. Look forward to seeing you model it in cooler weather. I never got to grips with crochet. It looks easy but I just can't seem to do it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10