Sunday, May 6, 2012

Kettle's Yard, Cambridge















Kettle's Yard is the interesting former home of Jim Ede, once a curator at the Tate Gallery.  It was formerly a collection of little terrace houses and a yard, that he made into one residence.  It has a lot of natural light, including sky lights in different areas.

The house has character but you can't imagine the current day curator of the Tate Gallery living in a house like this although I personally think it is charming.

It houses a collection of 20th century art  including works by Henry Moore, and many others including Alfred Wallis (1855-1942) he lived in St Ives, Cornwall and with no training, Wallis took up painting late in life 'for company' after the death of his wife.  He had worked as a seaman.  He wrote of himself 'I do most what used to be what we shall never see no more ...' he wrote to Jim Ede, creator of Kettle's Yard, and one of his most ardent collectors.

He reminds me of Grandma Moses only of the Sea World.

I enjoyed looking and one feels comfortable there as you are allowed to sit on the chairs.

Christy

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely place and I've never been there so on my list of to dos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy you take such beautiful photo's...you have a good eye for taking unusual shots. How I'd love to live in this home...it's right up my alley. You mentioned St Ives...I was there in 99...LOVED IT! What can I say...I LOVE England. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't the corner hanging china cabinet interesting....though I do worry it will fall off the wall...and what will become of the lovely china.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10