Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Railway Refreshent Rooms, New Zealand

Taihape Refreshment Rooms. Maybe Aunt Mary worked here, as I also have the photo of the party/picnic, which on the back says took place at Taihape. Isn't it great when things start to fit together? Well it seems logical she may have.

Paekakariki Refreshment Rooms



I thought I'd do a little research about the railway counter refreshment rooms in New Zealand, where aunt Mary worked, see my posting on this.

Well it has turned out to be a whole little history on it's own. The Railway Refreshment Rooms, began in 1917, when the dining cars; which were more for the wealthy,were done away with during WWI. There were a few privately owned refreshment rooms, but the railway took them over.
Listen here when you reach the web page click on the audio; where one of the original girls who worked at the refreshment rooms relates what it was like. There are seven pages to look at on the history I found it most interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! And I also enjoyed reading your link. Thank you so much and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10