Thursday, October 19, 2017

Fishermen's Memorial and Widows and Orphans Memorial, Stacy Esplanade, Looking Out Over Gloucester Harbor

Hi Dear Folk,

These pictures were taken late Saturday afternoon on my Cape Ann trip, before the unfortunate fractured ankle incident.

Gloucester's Stacy Esplanade looking over Gloucester Harbor.


Such a beautiful sky.  I parked the car along the side here and sat and had a cup of coffee and some biscuits.  In the above picture the traffic is stopped waiting for the draw bridge to be opened to allow boats to cross on the Blynman Canal.



This is the fishermen's Memorial.  Here is some information on it.

Resting on a granite base in the center of Gloucester's long, narrow Stacy Esplanade is the Gloucester Fisherman's Memorial. It is an eight-foot tall, bronze statue of a fisherman dressed in oilskins standing braced at the wheel on the sloping deck of his ship. It is positioned so that the fisherman is looking out over Gloucester Harbor. The English sculptor Leonard F. Craske (1882-1950) designed the sculpture, and it was cast by the Gorham Company of Providence, Rhode Island, in 1925. A small plaque on the north or street-facing side of the base reads, "MEMORIAL TO THE GLOUCESTER FISHERMAN, August 23, 1923." A larger recessed panel on the front or harbor-facing side of the base holds an inscription of bronze letters taken from the 107th Psalm, which reads:
THEY THAT GO
DOWN TO THE SEA
IN SHIPS
1623 - 1923


These are the fisherman that the film Perfect Storm was based on, drowned at sea 1991.  I'll have to watch that movie again staring George Clooney.



The Gloucester Tercentenary Permanent Memorial Association sponsored an artistic competition to commemorate Gloucester's 300th anniversary and to permanently memorialize the thousands of fishermen lost at sea in the first three centuries of Gloucester's history. In 1879 alone, 249 fishermen and 29 vessels were lost during a terrible storm. In preparing for the competition, Craske spent many hours aboard fishing schooners, sketching and photographing fishermen at work. His design was accepted and cast at a cost of $10,000. Generally acknowledged as Craske's finest work,


This is the Widow's and Orphan's Memorial.  I like the back view best on both of these statues, because their view is looking out to sea.

Feel my life is in fast motion with every Wednesday, my day off a visit to the doctor.  Yesterday was Orthopedic doctor and another set of XRays, and then Physical Therapy for an hour.  In the afternoon I had a pre-op visit with my local doctor for EKG etc, but was at 1:00PM and I thought 1:30PM so had to re-schedule for next week, honestly story of my life.  Fortunately there is enough time to do so before my op.

Since I was out I decided to stop off at Pier One Imports and stumbled upon a most lovely Indian candle holder, with coloured glass on the side, will have to take pics and show you.  Totally an impulse buy, you know how I love Indian things.  Price was good too on clearance.  Plus right time of year getting into winter, with the days drawing in, candles are lovely to cast a warming glow.  So last night I found two pillar candles and put them inside and lit them up.

It's beautiful here today and has been for several days.

Take care, Christine

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of Leonard Craske - will have to look him up. These remind me of similar memorials in this country. I love the views. Look forward to seeing your Indian candle holder. Hope your ankle heals soon and op goes well.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10