Monday, August 1, 2011

Spaghetti Dinner





I had a friend over for a Spaghetti Dinner on Sunday.  This was good as it urged me on to do the tidy up and cleaning that needed to be done, so now I'm good to go for a while.

I did a favourite which is a very simple Tuscan tomato sauce, tomatoes, onions, fresh basil and garlic, cooked fresh add a little butter before service over spaghetti pasta.  I did garlic bread, using sough dough bread, greens and onions from the garden cooked in olive oil.  I was going to make a Victoria Sandwich for desert, but on looking in the fridge realized I did not have enough butter, so looking at what I did have; which was a packet of cream cheese and a container of sour cream, I made up my own recipe for cheese cake, it went like this.

  • 1 pkg of cream cheese 
  • 1 container of sour cream
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 3 table spoons of flour
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tea spoon of vanilla
For the Base I used granola type cereal with almonds in, to which I added melted butter.

It was just right for the small high spring pan I have.

Two things I would have done differently are, I would have cooked the base a bit first at 375f  taken it out and then added the mix.  I also would have used one less egg, just three eggs.  I cooked it at 325f.

For a made up what's in the cupboard cheesecake I think it turned out pretty good.  I had some today and it tasted better for sitting a day.  I also stopped at Aldi's and got their mango & passion fruit jam; which went very nicely with the cheesecake.

If you noticed my crystal candlesticks well they hold the tall candles, but tall candles always drip and you don't always have them, or the right colour.  So I came up with this brainwave to use the glass inserts, which were very popular in the seventies I think on chandelier type candle holders, I had two clear ones which are fluted and popped those in, I was so pleased since they look as if they were meant to be part of the candlesticks.  So now I'm on a mission to find more at the thrift to pop on top of other candlesticks.

Christy

1 comment:

  1. Your dinner sounded delicious and you set the table so beautifully. How clever to invent your cheesecake. I love making a meal out of what I have - so satisfying.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10