Monday, October 29, 2018

28th August 2018 Wells-next-the-Sea, People Watching

Hi Dear Folk,

On Sunday Mr. B. and I were unexpectedly invited to a friends house for lunch, there were six of us.  It was very nice, just a little happy time.  We were talking about voices and how you know a person sometimes more by their voice, than their looks.  Recently I got together with some friends in England and some I had not seen in over forty years and yet I knew them more by their voice than anything.

Mr. B. spoke about being there alone with his mum when she died, he was four.  His dad had to go out to work to pay the medical bills, this would have been early sixties. They lived in an upstairs apartment of a big house, people lived in the downstairs apartment and often stopped in on them, but really there was no one else to help.  She died of ovarian cancer in her early forties.

He remembers her saying I'm tired and will just get into bed and that was it, she died there.  Life can be very sad.

I finished my shrug, you can see the pictures here on lilbitbrit007 Instagram.  My sister gave me the yarn and I started it while in England. Here I am on the cruise working on it. It's very cosy and the colours are vibrant.  I might make some more for gifts, as I do love that stitch combination.  I think it would also make a nice lined skirt.

On another note what a weekend of sadness yet again.  My heart goes out to all those families in Pittsburgh.

My husband was listening on the radio, a mass shooting is designated as four people or more shot, not including the shooter and in the USA there have been 1,624 people shot in 1,870 days.  Nine out of every ten days on an average.  There are an estimated 265 million guns in the USA more than one gun for every adult.  Those statistics do not include all the individual people shot.  In Philadelphia in 2018 so far, there have been 1,142 victims of shootings, about one shooting every six hours.

Come back with me to Wells-next-the Sea, a beautiful Norfolk coastal town.


We sat right here and ate our packed lunch while looking at this view.



This is The Life Boat Horse, by Rachael Long honoring the history and life saving work of the life boat horses in British seaside towns.  A team of horses could be up to at least ten to pull the lifeboat out and back in.

It does make you think of how horses have worked for mankind down through the millenniums.




I do enjoy a thistle.



The little narrow gauge railway.  If I still had children would definitely have taken a ride.




Christine

5 comments:

  1. Yes so much sadness. On a brighter note we sat in almost the same spot as you to have crab sandwiches in Wells 4 years ago. The shrug is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine it is heartbreaking to think about so many lives lost. Beautiful photos, what a joy to see the life boat horse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sad story for your husband to be the only one there when his mom died. And he so young. I loved seeing that sailboat, I miss ours so much. Now I will got look at your shrug!! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a lovely time. The Life Boat Horse reminds me of the costumes for the play of War Horse, which were brilliant. I love it.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10