Saturday, October 20, 2018

10th August 2018 Cambridge Botanic Gardens

Hi Dear Folk,

How long does it take to break a habit?  The thought was 21 days, but it seem thinking has changed on that now.  Getting back into Blogging and life is proving a challenge, but I'm not going to give it up after ten years of Blog Posts.

The Boy went off to the hair dresser's/barber and got his hair cut this morning.  He said how much he enjoys his hair dresser Frank who has had a shop in this old apartment complex for almost forty years.  I asked was he Italian?  He said, no 'Irish decent' and quite a minority in our town that is predominantly Italian.  I asked Rob how he chose him, and he said he wanted a shop in town, but not in the hood, because obviously he's a white boy.

He said the clientele is predominantly older white men and Frank has numerous stories which Rob enjoys and knows a lot of history of the town we live in.  I said how nice it was to enjoy going to one's hairdresser and being part of the fabric of where you live.  Rather than going to some yuppy place in the mall.  Rob agreed.  Plus he gives a good cut.

Well let's get on to the The Cambridge Botanic Gardens.  I was corrected by an older boffin looking gentlemen when asking for directions after getting off the bus.  I had asked for the Botanical Gardens and he said it is called Botanic Gardens, I will never forget that.

Friday started off dull and dry and then moved onto rain all day and ended with blue skies and sun, but not while I was in Cambridge.  Unfortunately the gardens were still reflecting the very hot weather of the summer before, as I said I only caught three days of that.



I think I most enjoyed the green houses as you can see.




How enjoyable to see all the old hardware throughout.





I came home to something very similar to the above growing in my garden.  I think a friend gave it too me, does anyone know what it is?






After a wander round in the drizzle, it really started to rain so I thought I'd walk over to the cafeteria for lunch, where I had quiche lorraine and a drink.  I did sit outside under a giant umbrella, and listened to the rain and the birds, most enjoyable.  There is something very refreshing about rain.

How eating out at a cafeteria has changed from when I was a child, when one would get two slices of steamed white bread, with a sparse film of margarine and a nasty slice of ham.  The choices were extensive and very good.  I always love all the meat pies too, that are very British.

After lunch I walked into town.

Christine


No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10