Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Up Up and Away

Hi Dear Folk,

I booked my flight to the UK this year and I'm going for a very long trip, for the months of August and September.  I was surprised to find that I had 204,000 Avios miles on BA, so used those, and upgraded to Premium Economy, but the taxes alone made it almost as much as what my son paid for his ticket flying over in May.  With that seating I'm not sure how much more space you get, I know it's not much,  I am allowed twice the luggage, but don't feel like hauling around two suitcases, but you never know, I always seem to need another suitcase when I come back and scrounge an old one out of my sister's attic.  Still I have options.

I paid the extra $25.00 and booked over the phone, so much easier than getting to the end of booking everything online and then getting kicked out.  I don't have a lot of patience for that.

I will take my chances on seat allocation, which also is another extra you have to pay, you didn't used to have to pay for that. My son paid extra.  He is travelling over to UK with Tierney and they wanted to make sure they got a window seat and sat together, I would have taken my chances, but's that's the only thing I'd take a chance on and it is easier for one.

Time has flown and I don't seem to have taken many photos, I am still getting used to my new camera, do hope to use it at the Flower Show this week., but still deciding when to go as another nor'easter is coming in tomorrow, however Wednesday is my day off.  So will probably go Thursday or Friday afternoon.

The nor'easter last Friday caused a lot of downed lines.  I caught the last train out of Dodge, well no out of the City.  We watched the wind and rain all morning out of the office windows and then sleet and then snow, and about three in the afternoon someone checked the trains and noticed all lines had been suspended except for two, one of which was my line.  My boss said you had better go before they suspend that.  Two trains were sitting at Platform 1 but were not assigned then one pulled in on Platform 2 and that was going to the stops on the other line that was open.  Just before four a train pulled in and it was announced it was for my line.  Everyone was piling in whether they usually took my line or not, because they just wanted to get out of the City and someone could pick them up down the line. Then an announcer said "do you know what train you are getting on?" I felt like saying Cassandra Crossing, remember that old movie?

My boss had to get his son to come and pick him up, his son lives in Philly, and others made it home through circuitous public transportation, but not their usual routes.  So happy I caught the last train on my line.  I am not good at circuitous routes.

Keep warm and safe, at least those Northerners.

Christine



3 comments:

  1. Glad you got out of Dodge last Friday! I left work at 1 and made it home safely. Was glad I left when I did - we ended up with 8" of snow! And now again tomorrow...

    What a wonderful trip for you coming up! Will you be blogging (I hope) while you are away?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you have booked. Yes the airlines are trying to get more money one way and another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you managed to get out of the City before the next storm. The weather worldwide has been strange this year, I am looking forward to some sun. Sounds like a great trip planned for later in the year.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10