Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Holland and Norway, Fiords and Fun

Hi Dear Folk,

Yes the fourth nor'easter is heading our way, freezing rain right now and I hope I get out of Dodge.

My friend Joan and I were talking about some fun quotes the other day one being this -

     I don't make jokes.  I just watch the government and report the facts.  Will Rogers

I have come to the conclusion that I also love Mark Twain quotes so much I think I should get a book of his quotes, talk about witty.

     Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain

On that thought I have another adventure that I'm going on with my friend Jean.  We are taking a cruise out of Portsmouth, England to Holland and then on to Norway.  We have thought about doing this for a while, but now the time is right.

These are the ports we are visiting.


Our ship will be The Astoria. I like the older ships because one it's smaller and can navigate the fiords, also it has a promenade deck around the whole ship.  On the newer cruise ships this is prime realty so all the expensive suits with balconies are on the side of the ship and you don't really have a promenade deck or even a bow to stand on.  They're almost like giant floating chests.  Of course a ship leaving England must and does serve afternoon tea, just that thought gives me joy.

Jean did all the work coordinating the trip and getting it together.  We had thought about the Hutigruten cruises, out of Bergen ending in Kirkenes, or visa versa, but the logistics of getting to or from Kirkenes with an internal flight was becoming more and more complex and costly, an overnight stay, plus a flight to Norway from the UK, so we opted for this cruise and I'm glad we did.  It's easy to get to Portsmouth we booked a return coach out of Victoria, London.  I think this will be more relaxing for us older girls.  I'm looking to forward even to the coach trip, seeing a little of the southern counties as we pass through to Portsmouth.

I didn't think I'd need a second suitcase, but maybe I will, upping my plane ticket may prove to be an advantage, other than the seat.  I thought about my plane ticket and wondered if I had put my complete name on it as appears in my passport, so important these days.  Eventually got home and looked at it and breathed a sigh of relief, yes I had.  Jean had asked me this question for our cruise tickets and that jolted my thought about my plane ticket.

Looking forward to lots of adventures and keeping a travel journal.  Do come with me on my travels to England, let's share a journey.

Christine

1 comment:

  1. I love the mark Twain quote as it is so true. Yes Norway here we come! So exciting.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10