Thursday, September 28, 2017

Rockport, MA

Hi Dear Folk,

This is Rockport in Essex County, MA, this whole area was founded by Europeans in the 1600's, Rockport about 1680.  The native Agawam Indians, had mostly died off from disease caught from the early settlers.

This red building was originally built as a fishing shack in 1884, and has been the subject of countless paintings. Over the years it has been rebuilt because of storm damage, it is such an iconic image.  Artists say that the quality of light in Rockport is excellent for painting, it obsessed Winslow Homer, Andrew Wyeth, Edward Hopper, Stuart Davis, Marsden Hartley, Fitz Henry Lane and Gordon Parks.

Rockport takes it's name from all the rock quarries that are in the area.  This old stone pier is some of the granite quarried I'm sure.  You will see the granite used as doorsteps, piers and grave stones, throughout Cape Ann.






Look at this column to throw a rope around.


i

I was out on the road early Saturday morning, and I am happy to say that the weather only got better and this was the worst it was, actually quite cold and windy, so I wore my Aran poncho.  I ran across a rummage sale, so after taking these photos I headed on back for the 9:00AM opening.

I found a few goodies in fact that was all the shopping I did on the entire trip.  A hand crocheted table cloth, Polish pottery a cheese or butter dish in the shape of a lady, I just fell in love with this,  creamer and sugar to match, salt and pepper shakers, little maids,  three old bone china cups, along with a brand new embroidered neck tee shirt.

I did go back to Rockport on Sunday evening.  In fact it was just after six and I was trying to get a ticket out of a parking meter, when a gentleman said I don't think you have to pay after six, probably why I was getting no where trying to get a ticket.

The evening was beautiful, warm and quite still with a glorious sunset.  Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me.  Bearskin Neck is a group of streets, with old shops, which opens up at the end to a pier, with rocks around it.  I have heard it can be quite windy, but it was still as a millpond when I was there.  I sat down and finished off my apple pie and rum raisin ice-cream.

Christine

PS  It seems I have an avulsion fracture of the medial malleolus on the ankle, where the ligament has pulled away taking a small piece of bone with it.  I see the orthopedic doctor today, hopefully.  If not too bad it will mean wearing a boot, ice and rest and will probably take four to six weeks to heal.  Must keep weight off the ankle to heal properly.  So I will need crutches.  Must baby it along, because I do not want problems down the road.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your foot, a lot worse than a simple sprain. Sounds like you had a great time at the rummage sale finding quite a few things. A beautiful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures and I so wish I had been with you. Mm rum and raisin icecream is one of my favourites. Hope your foot heals soon but as you said look after it so no long term problems.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10