Saturday, September 30, 2017

Beaport The Sleeper-McCann House - Back of House

Hi Dear Folk,

I do love to visit the New England area, but for us it is a very busy hectic drive, all roads are just super busy, and basically you somehow have to skirt around New York City, plus you must cross the Hudson River, which limits you to certain bridges.  Instead of taking the NJ Turnpike which is a nightmare, we opt for a more circuitous route of 202, heading north and east crossing over the Tappan Zee Bridge.  Actually they are in the middle of building a new bridge and will eventually take the old bridge down.  You can read about it here.  There are some mighty big rivers in the USA.

The Boy GPS us all the way, so I relied on him to chart the route.  It seems so funny to not navigate with a map anymore, but in the dark at night GPS is great.  I wonder how we ever did it?  It took us 6 1/2 hours to get up there, ETA 12:10AM and it was exactly correct.  It still amazes me.

I cannot say enough about the Beauport Sleeper-McCann House, what a delight to visit.  See here. The interior designer Henry Davis Sleeper working along with an architect had it built in 1907.  He was just a collector and as he saw old places torn down he would salvage different pieces, a set of doors, interior panelling a whole fire place or it could be a piece of furniture, and then ask his architect to design and add another room on to accommodate what ever he had found.  I often come across things I would like to incorporate into my house, but have never thought of asking Mr.B. to add a room on for it, if only.

The feeling I had of stepping into this house on the water's edge was of the interior of an old galleon on the high seas.  Some rooms more than others.  It's not a mansion, but a lot of eclectic smaller rooms with great interest.

Since I took so many pictures I will start with the back of the house, which overlooks the water.  It's built on East Point in Gloucester, down a private road.  Lots of summer cottages on this road, rich persons terminology for their summer mansion residence.  In fact there was one house that looked like a southern plantation house, but obviously neglected.  As I stopped to look at it a lady walked by and I asked who owned that and she thought Gorton, the frozen fish people who still have a plant in Gloucester where they originated.






This orange lichen was amazing, as were the bees on the ivy flowers.




The room up top was originally his mother's bedroom, who lived with him until she died, then he took the bedroom and redid it.  The view from that window certainly makes you feel as if your viewing the world from an old galleon.



Those pesky squirrels get everywhere.




I sat here and imagined afternoon tea on the back lawn.  I heard that sometimes they do a special afternoon tea event here, now wouldn't that be fun to attend?



And here is that squirrel sitting on my shoulder.



The window above was in his main dining room, but he had many smaller dining rooms.  The windows slide out for an outside dining experience.

Christine

2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic place! I love the orange lichen too. I have noticed loads of bees on the ivy flowers lately too and don't remember so many before. Tea on that little lawn would be wonderful. I could sit there all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You took us on a wonderful tour, what a great place to visit.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10