Sunday, March 15, 2009

Fifties Nostagia. Favorite Recipes from Famous Eating Places

I found this dear little book at our public library. They put older books out for .50 cents. It seemed that a lot of older books used to be put out. Also I have not been to the library as often as I would wish. In any case I found this little gem.

First published in 1950, but mine is the 1954 edition. "Dedicated to the Ford and Lincoln Mercury dealers of the United States, whose interest and suggestions have made this guide possible."

It's a guide to restaurants and their favourite recipe, along with a 112 local artists renditions, including a car on many pictures.


Doesn't it just take you back to a different time. I love the colour pictures, which we take so for granted today in any aspect of communications, but lovely colour pictures were not so readily included in print publications then.





Before I came to the States, I could probably count on my fingers how many times I ate out at a restaurant in the UK, but after coming to the States and being a nanny when I first came over, eating out just became a way of life.

I remember my first Big Mac from Burger King, of course that is take out, along with eating at a Diner, so quintessentially American.

I will say though, that we do not eat out that often now.

Christy

1 comment:

01 09 10