Monday, June 25, 2018

Cooking and Cleaning

Hi Dear Folk,

I am wondering how I ever worked in a secular sense, because it has been all go.  Mr. B. and I got together to clean these kitchen windows, the whole works. screens, jams, stained glass, deep sill, etc. I can't believe it took us a couple of hours, unless we're just getting slow, which could be the case, but they did look nice when done.


I did a little rearranging of things up there, took my soup crocks off and added some pottery.  The jug and dishes I bought in Quendon, Essex.  They remind me of pottery I saw at the Philadelphia Museum of Art and that was all made within a fifty mile radius of where I live now.  Love the English oak leaves on the jug.  The jug on the far right was made on Cape Cod, MA, and of course the pottery to the far left is from Poland, I love the lady cheese dish.  It's hard to find a lovely great wedge of cheese to fill the old fashioned cheese dishes.


In the center my Made in England set of scales, I need a few more weights.  Will have to go on a little search for brass weights.  My mind still thinks in pounds and ounces as we do over here in the States, but I know Europe has moved onto grams.


Mr. B. came home with beets and all the leaves left on, they looked so green and fresh that I decided to cook them up with sausage, in olive oil.  I should have cut the stalks a little smaller.


Served with a wild rice medley and my homemade Branston Pickle.  I love Branston Pickle and you have to be an Anglophile to appreciate it, just a certain taste hard to duplicate, but I thought I'd have a go.

I made this pickle in 2013.  I went to a produce place where everything was in larger amounts, so landed up with a ton of ingredients.  Here is my 2013 post of making the Branston Pickle and the recipe.  Preserves really do keep a long while, and here I am in 2018 still eating Branston Pickle.  When I first made it, it wasn't as dark as the store bought Branston Pickle, but now with age it is, and I can say almost a dead ringer.  Success five years down the road.

Christine

4 comments:

  1. Those stained glass hangings are so wonderful!!!!

    And that meal looks simply 'scrumptious'!!!

    Yesssss!!!!!

    'Nana' Nanci

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your pottery and all your bits and pieces. I had brass scales which I bought to teach the children algebra as well as cooking. I gave them away in the end as they took too much room and cleaning. Yours look good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all your pottery! Branson pickle is the only decent pickle we sometimes find here. I did vaguely think of making my own. Now I shall definitely try! Thanks for the prompt and the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we have the same teapot -- the lovely lady that reminds me of the Royal Doulton balloon lady. Is yours a music box? Mine is and I love it!

    Beautiful with the light coming in through your windows. And dinner looks divine!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10