Monday, June 25, 2018

A Day Out

Hi Dear Folk,

I woke up this morning with such a headache, not quite a migraine, but pretty bad.  We had a busy weekend, but fun, will post about that later.  So a few aspirin and cups of tea later and it is just going away by midday.

Last week I got to visit with some friends.  I'm going to stop putting old friends.  Jean on the far right is a friend visiting from England and staying with some other friends in PA here.  Celestine in the center is in her nineties.


Her daughter insisted we borrow her GPS, but Celestine knew exactly where to take us.  The restaurant we wanted to try was closed, bit of a disappointment, how dare they go on vacation.  We went to another one which was OK, the food was good, ambience not so much.  Stopped off at a little Farmers Market and scored on the one day old section for baked goods, as everything was half price.  So bought a tasty apple and strawberry crumble along with a loaf of Rosemary and Olive Oil bread.  After lunch we stopped off at a dairy and bought ice creams.  I had salted caramel pretzel and the second scoop was rum raisin.

I remember when I first came to the States I couldn't get over the variety of ice creams.  I think in England I only ever had, vanilla, chocolate or strawberry and a great treat was Cornish ice cream.  I know all that has changed now.  A block of Neapolitan ice cream (vanilla, chocolate and strawberry in a block) and a pack of wafers, was our Sunday treat.  We would cut it up and put it between two wafers.

Onto thrifting, and stopped off at an Antique Emporium, I saw a little Victorian painted washstand, but where to put it?  So resisted, still on my mind though, as was a good price.  Jean found three pairs of brown leather shoes $2.00 each.  She said it's hard to find brown shoes at the charity shops in England, and I found a pair of black Clarks sandals also $2.00.  It seems their shoes are cheaper than at the thrifts in our area.

We had a lovely chatty, fun day out together.

Look at that deluxe chicken coop and only two chickens, who are not earning their keep.

Christine

4 comments:

  1. I want to meet Celestine, who is in her nineties!

    Lovely looking lady, and still 'on the go.'

    Since we are 81 and 85, I dearly love to see active older people. It's such an inspiration.

    Does she have a blog, by chance?

    'Nana' Nanci

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to see Jean and Celestine looking so good and what a great day out. Your thrift shops are much better than our charity shops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely photo of you three and a lovely day out. You certainly have good luck at thrift shops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you had the opportunity to visit with your friends -- and good shopping and fun too!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10