Monday, May 30, 2011

Hot! Hot! Hot!





Today is a holiday in the USA, Memorial Day.  It must be almost one hundred degrees F.  Yesterday I had friends over for Tea, Sandwiches and Scones, before which I served Sangria.  Made with my at least fourteen year old wine, I know it's that old because I made it when Rob was a little boy, and I have a photo of him sitting beside the kitchen sink helping me to destem the grapes.  To the Sangria I added apples, oranges and strawberries, mixed berry juice and it needed a little kick so I added Kirsch.

So Monday there was some left over and I thought I'll have a glass of Sangria and read my book, 'The Making of a Marchioness' The first part is very good, I don't think the second part is as good, by Francis Hodgson Burnett.

I have a set of six of the silver long spoons.  They look like a bamboo stem, and each one has a different Asian themed trinket on, I guess to tell the drinks apart, probably for iced tea, but I thought they were just right for this, with the lotus flower spoon piece, one can scoop out the fruit and eat it.

My bamboo screen with the afternoon light coming through across my desk always remind me of Saigon, not that I've ever been to Saigon, which of course now has a different name, but in the old movies you see those screens and the ceiling fans running, it depicts an era of Vietnam before the war.

Well that was my day, just trying to take it easy on a terribly hot day.

Christy

1 comment:

  1. I've only read children's books by Frances Hodgson Burnett and didn't know she wrote for adults so will have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10