Sunday, May 20, 2018

Megan's Dress, Royal Wedding and I've had Enough!

Hi Dear Folk,

Did you watch the Royal Wedding?  Well the Brits do know how to put on a good show, most diverse.






Her Givenchy dress by Claire Waight Keller, a British designer, in pure white silk, with the bateau neckline was lovely, a classic, and a simple posy.  I liked the long silk tulle veil going over the train of her dress embroidered in silk flowers, fifty three flowers representing the countries of the Commonwealth.

Lesotho was represented by a spiral aloe, Bangladesh was symbolized by a white-water lily and Granada had a bougainvillea.  Australia was represented by golden wattles, and Nigeria had a yellow trumpet.  England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland were respectively represented by a rose, a daffodil, a flax flower and a thistle.

Symmetrically placed at the very front of the veil, crops of wheat delicately embroidered, blending into the flora, to symbolize love and charity.  I also heard on BBC Radio there was a favourite flower from Kensington Gardens and a California Poppy a nod to home.

Topped by the Queen Mary bandeau tiara, wife of George V.  I'm sure there are a lot of tiaras down through the ages in the jewelry caskets to chose from.


1. Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex
2. Meghan, Duchess of Sussex
3. Queen Elizabeth II, grandmother of the groom
4. Prince Philip, grandfather of the groom
5. Doria Ragland, mother of the bride
6. Prince Charles, father of the groom
7. Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, stepmother of the groom
8. Prince William, elder brother of the groom
9. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, sister-in-law of the couple
10. Princess Charlotte, 3, daughter of William and Catherine
11. Prince George, 4, eldest son of William and Catherine
12. Page boy Jasper Dyer, 6, godson of the groom
13. Page boy Brian Mulroney, 7, son of the bride's best friend
14. Bridesmaid Ivy Mulroney, 4, daughter of the bride's best friend
15. Bridesmaid Florence van Cutsem, 3, goddaughter of the groom
16. Bridesmaid Rylan Litt, 7, goddaughter of the bride
17. Page boy John Mulroney, 7, son of the bride's best friend
18. Bridesmaid Zalie Warren, 2, goddaughter of the groom
19. Bridesmaid Remi Litt, 6, goddaughter of the bride

I do hope that the fashion for wedding dresses gets away from the strapless ones that have been in for a couple of decades now, and get back to having a lovely neckline and sleeves.  I have never been a fan of the strapless wedding dress.

I have had enough of dull skies and rain, with a few bad storms thrown in.  I only wish my garden was planted because it would be romping away.  Still it was a good excuse to be in, have a cup of tea and watch the pageantry.  The sun smiled on the Royal couple.  I have been watching the weather in England all week, hoping that it would be good for Rob and Tierney while they were there.  And they certainly had better weather there than we have had here this week.


I was looking at how things change over the years, even the amount of work put into packaging Chambord a raspberry liquor.  The older bottle is to the left with the crown lid, and even embossing in the glass and the bottom, compared with their newer bottle on the right.

Also just think if Wallace Simpson had met Edward VIII now she too could have had a church wedding and walked down the aisle in a white dress.  She was just eighty years ahead of the times.  Of course Camilla lived long enough to see those changes in her lifetime, and to benefit from them.


At last after sitting in the garage for several years we have actually restrung this chime.  It has a lovely sound being so long.  The wood had rotted out, so Mr. B.  came up with the idea of using this terra-cotta pot holder and drilling holes in this to thread the strings through.  I like it.


This is the patio I worked on last weekend, Saturday this weekend it rained all day.





Roses like a good drink.




I went out to retrieve something I had put out in the trash, which was the top of my circular com poster, which comes apart, off course I came up with an idea to use it, fortunately it was still out there, some things I put out had gone, which is good.  And then something was left behind my garage from someone else, this pot with plastic flowers in.

Looking worse for wear, I salvaged what I could, added some old silk flowers I had lying around in the garage and thought why not put it here by the garage door for a splurge of colour.  Now I am not a one for fake flowers, this may or may not stay, we'll see.  I don't think it looks too bad though.

Must get the paint brush out.  Lot's of painting to do.

Christine

8 comments:

  1. The wedding was so lovely. I kept the news on all day just so I could see glimpses of it again. A fairy tale that is for sure. She looked so beautiful and serene, I am not sure how she did it. And the couple is so much in love, it shows in how they treat each other. Wonderful news to watch instead of all the ghastly stuff we see every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely wedding and considering the controversy in the days leading up to the wedding, she did look serene. Yes truly a fairy tale, they do look in love. The day shone on them.

      Delete
  2. A lovely wedding, I enjoyed the whole thing. They were certainly blessed with the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a lovely wedding, I did enjoy watching it all. Especially the smile on the one page boys face.

      Delete
  3. We watched a little bit and of course the whole news programme was about it. It was such a beautiful day so too good to stay indoors. The boy and Tierney certainly had good weather this past week. Some days cold but bright and dry. Hope your rain stops soon.That was clever of Mr. B to fix your chime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have been out too. Except here it was 7:00 am here, so got up, had a cup of tea and began watching it. It just all fell in, I hadn't even planned on watching it then. So glad that Tierney and Rob have had hardly any rain, and some really nice days.

      Delete
  4. I watched all the reruns I think it was a lovely wedding. Some very sweet photos.
    It was fun to watch for a short time with all the horrible thing going on in the world.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so with you on the strapless wedding gowns. I saw one on FB today -- a beautiful bride and as strapless dresses go, it was a lovely confection and she wore it well. But it just felt -- I don't know. Like a tired style to me. Meghan's was classic and elegant. Loved this post and getting a glimpse of your world, too!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10