Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Stir-crazy

Hi Dear Folk,

I looked up the definition of Stir-crazy; which is psychologically disturbed because of being confined or imprisoned, seems an appropriate definition, I think that is how some folk are feeling, so I wanted to share with my readers some fun British series that I have been able to watch on You Tube and thought you might enjoy too.

The Great Pottery Throw Down and The Great British Sewing Bee see below for my blogged links to the first episodes on these shows, you can take it from there.

I was so happy to find them, because for a long while you did not have access via You Tube to The Great British Sewing Bee, although I did know about that show.

Hope you are all well.  I feel lighter as just completed getting our taxes done, although I know they extended the deadline to July 15th, but at least that's off my plate.  Signed them remotely which I've never done, all new to me.

The sun is out today blue skies, although chilly.  Now for a little crochet and a cup of tea before I tackle cleaning the glass front on our wood stove, closing that up for the winter as all the wood is finished.

We are still on quarantine.  I looked up the definition of isolate and quarantine.

Isolation - Separates sick people with a contagious disease from those who are not sick, even within the same household.

Quarantine:  Separates and restricts the movement of people who were exposed to a contagious disease to see if they become sick.  These people may have been exposed to a disease and do not know it, or the may have the disease but do not show symptoms.  Or may not want to catch it.

Personally I always though the definition was visa versa.

While I'm on words which I do love, I was watching an Icelandic show with English subtitles and I caught the Icelandic word for disgrace or shame which is skomm and that made me think of the English word scum, when a person has done something really disgraceful you say they are scum, it sounds almost identical. It is interesting to see how different words have been added into the English language from so many other derivations.  Hope I haven't bored you with my love of words.

Well now for tea.

Take care,
Christine

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe we are still having fires and you have closed up yours. I presume you have central heating as well. It's very chilly at nights.
    Quarantine or isolation, I want to be warm. Where is spring

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought it was the other way around, too. Learn something new every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love words and their origins too. We still have to go out for shopping and are allowed to go out for exercise once a day. Or we can go out if we care for somebody. Lots of good stuff on Youtube. Lots of theater companies are streaming free productions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love delving into origin of words too and finding hidden meanings or their merging into another language.
    Thank you on the sewing bee link - it might revive my love for sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ack either one sounds horrible. I just want this to be done. It's been horrible and grey here the last few days but today was lovely and sunny and I really, really wanted to spend all day outside walking.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10