Saturday, August 28, 2010

Home Made Catawba Wine

Syphoning from the primary fermenter.

8 1/2 gallons from 38 lbs of Catawba grapes.
In demijohns with bungs and fermentation locks.
I planted three grape vines about six years ago.  A Catawba, Concord and Niagara grapes.  Good for our more northerly climate in the North Mid-Atlantic states.  The Niagara died and I planted instead a Montrachet.  Earlier this month I made several gallons from the Concord grapes. The Montrachet did not produce, other years it has though.

The Catawba vine yielded 38 lbs of desteemed grapes.  Isn't that amazing.  I'm thinking of turning one of my lawns into a vineyard, with that kind of yield.  But it is a lot of work and time.

It took us a while to work out how to use the hydrometer which measures sugar content and prospective alcohol content.  It probably is worth using one.  Before I've just followed old country recipes and it always seemed to work out well.

Now we just have a year to wait.

Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10